Table of Contents
Feeling Behind in Life? Let’s face it, we can be really hard on ourselves. As little human animals with chimpanzee brains, we seem to be born into some kind of animal competition that can be hard to ignore or rise above.
For millions of people this makes them feel behind in life no matter what they have tried to do or accomplished. And throw in the fact that people tend to move through communities with a social mask, not truly sharing their struggles, trials and tribulations. We almost can’t help looking at the other person or family and comparing. Are we good looking enough? Do we have money? Time? Influence? Purpose?
Add into this mix all the stuff we are exposed to on social media. People cherry picking a snapshot of life and presenting it as a view of success. Do not get me wrong, it is nice when people share glamour photos online, but keep the bigger picture and context in mind.
Feeling Behind in Life? Many working adults and especially parents can run themselves ragged trying to “have it all.” But who is determining what this means? Why do we want anything? Isn’t there some part of you that wants to just drop it all and let it all go?
One thing that continually amazes me about modern life is how quickly we lose perspective. Do you live in a war zone? Do you have a safe roof over your head? Do you have plenty of options to feed and clothe yourself? Do you have at least one friend? Do you have some small opportunity to better your condition?
If the answer was yes to most of these questions then frankly you are one of the most wealthy people in the world. But you probably don’t feel that way on a regular basis.
Feeling Behind in Life?
Many people turn to their religious or spiritual practices to determine the meaning of life. But many struggle with any sense of it at all. Let’s face it, there is no definitive proof of anything. We have our thoughts (which can be false), our feelings (they can lead us astray) and we have faith.
I Am Only Human
I have had the same thoughts about confidence and self esteem my whole life. I will notice the other person and be jealous of some aspect of their life. As I get older I am realizing what a complete waste of time and energy comparing can be.
This is part of what we hope Money Vikings does to set ourselves apart from the thousands of other personal finance and life bloggers/YouTubers. We are interested in a complete picture of wealth that YOU define for yourself. There is actually only one definition of success for each of us and it is 100% defined by our own mind. Sure, society and the media will spend every waking hour convincing you of another version of success. But only one option of success matters in the end, you and maybe a couple close family and friends.
Feeling Behind in Life? Even Warren Buffett has said it before. Success in life typically comes down to some simple things. Did you live life on your terms, try the best you could, and did you find a few people that love you?
Let it Go
Below are some concepts to consider to increase satisfaction with life and perhaps give yourself a break in terms of feeling behind. A beautiful and strange thing about life is that every single life is in unique.
Real Human Connections
Feeling Behind in Life? We seem to live in a time of despair for millions of people. And the antidote may be about more real life social connections. Just spending some time with someone that cares about you in nature could make a huge difference in life happiness.
Were We Even Built for Happiness?
I do believe we can have life happiness and satisfaction, but not sure we can happy all the time. It seems that we need to cultivate our own definition of happiness, our own internal compass.
My Personal Definition
I am under no illusion that I will always feel happy, I won’t. Feeling Behind in Life? I try and tell myself personally to try the best I can, treat others with kindness. Stand up for myself and others. Try and work through problems in a creative way. Make and create things with people I love. Find where I can add value. Value the present moment as much as possible. Balance things in life.
5 Actions to Consider:
- Evaluate your priorities: Take some time to evaluate what’s important to you and what you want to achieve in life. Identify your long-term and short-term goals, and make a plan to work towards them. It’s never too late to start pursuing your dreams.
- Focus on your strengths: Instead of dwelling on what you haven’t accomplished yet, focus on your strengths and build on them. Identify the skills and qualities that make you unique and leverage them to your advantage. We are only human and each has unique interests and strengths. Build on the strengths and mitigate the weaknesses.
- Develop a growth mindset: Adopting a growth mindset means embracing challenges and seeing them as opportunities to learn and grow. Instead of feeling defeated by setbacks, use them as a chance to learn and improve. Every “successful” person has experienced many setbacks. Life is not a success only journey!
- Practice self-care: If you’re feeling Behind in Life, it’s important to take care of yourself, especially when you’re feeling behind in life. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly. Taking care of your physical and mental health will help you stay motivated and focused. This is a big deal to Money Vikings, for a treasure trove of health related ideas see our Money Vikings Health Content.
- Seek help when needed: Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you’re feeling overwhelmed or unsure about how to move forward. Talk to a trusted friend, family member, or a professional therapist who can offer support and guidance. Remember, you’re not alone, and it’s okay to ask for help. We all need help sometimes in life and there is no shame in it. We evolved in close knit tribes that depended on each other for survival. Our brains did not evolve out of this concept in the last couple hundred years.
Feeling Behind in Life? I will end with this concept, try loving yourself for who you are and where you are in life. Realize that each person’s life is unique with their own trials and tribulations. There will always be someone with more/different and always someone with less/different. Find your unique path, be kind to all, be strong when you can, seek help when you need it. This is the heart and soul of Money Viking strong!
- For more health and wealth ideas visit Money Vikings YouTube: