Healthy Brain Techniques, Why?
The Money Vikings require strong healthy brains to live a life of True Wealth. As a society, we have historically ignored brain health. Instead focusing on the symptoms in particular areas of health and behavior instead of getting to the root cause: brain health. An unhealthy brain leads to all sorts of problems!
And brain health is about a lot more than doing crossword puzzles and staying sharp. Our brain health is precisely connected to our overall health, well being, capabilities and quality of life. And our modern world does all kinds of damage to our brains: smoking, pollution, sedentary lifestyle, nutrient depleted snacks and more…
I started reading Dr. Amen books about 10 years ago and they blew my mind, pun intended. He started doing brain scan imaging about 30 years ago and uncovered how to care for our brains and what destroys our brains capabilities to deliver a healthy life. He literally changed the paradigm on the importance of brain health. healthy brain techniques
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, a renowned psychiatrist and brain health expert, has provided numerous techniques and strategies to promote a healthy brain. While it is essential to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice, here are five techniques Dr. Amen often recommends:
5 main areas of Brain Health (healthy brain techniques)
Engaging in regular physical activity has been linked to improved brain health. Exercise increases blood flow to the brain, stimulates the release of beneficial neurotransmitters, and enhances overall cognitive function. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise most days of the week. healthy brain techniques
Consuming a nutritious diet can support brain health. Dr. Amen recommends a diet rich in whole foods, including fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Reduce the intake of processed foods, added sugars, and unhealthy fats. Additionally, consider incorporating brain-boosting foods like fatty fish (rich in omega-3 fatty acids), blueberries, turmeric, and dark chocolate. healthy brain techniques
Regular mental engagement and challenging activities are crucial for maintaining cognitive function. Engage in activities that stimulate your brain, such as puzzles, reading, learning a new skill or instrument, or playing strategy games. Continuous mental stimulation helps strengthen neural connections and promotes cognitive flexibility. healthy brain techniques
Sufficient, restorative sleep is vital for brain health. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Establish a consistent sleep schedule, create a relaxing bedtime routine, and ensure your sleep environment is comfortable and conducive to restful sleep. Avoid electronic devices before bed and limit caffeine intake, particularly in the afternoon and evening. healthy brain techniques
Chronic stress can have detrimental effects on the brain. Implement stress-management techniques like mindfulness meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or engaging in activities you enjoy. Prioritize self-care, practice relaxation techniques, and seek support from loved ones or a mental health professional if needed.
Remember, these techniques are general recommendations, and individual needs may vary. Consulting with a healthcare professional can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation and health goals.
5 Things That Destroy Our Brains (the opposite of healthy brain techniques)
We often mention in building wealth and investing that sometimes it is the stuff we DO NOT do that makes the difference vs. what we do do. Warren Buffett is famous for saying the first rule of investing is to never lose money, and the second rule is to never forget the first.
Well, here are 5 things to avoid in order to have better brain health according to experts in this field:
- Chronic Stress: Prolonged periods of stress can have detrimental effects on the brain. High levels of stress hormones, such as cortisol, can damage brain cells and impair memory and cognitive function over time.
- Poor Diet: Consuming a diet that lacks essential nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins, can contribute to poor brain health. A diet high in processed foods, saturated fats, and sugar may increase the risk of cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases. healthy brain techniques
- Lack of Physical Activity: Leading a sedentary lifestyle without regular exercise has been linked to an increased risk of cognitive decline and conditions like Alzheimer’s disease. Physical activity promotes healthy blood flow to the brain, reduces inflammation, and stimulates the release of beneficial neurochemicals.
- Sleep Deprivation: Inadequate sleep can significantly impact brain health. During sleep, the brain undergoes important restorative processes, including memory consolidation. Chronic sleep deprivation has been associated with cognitive impairment, decreased focus, and an increased risk of neurodegenerative disorders.
- Substance Abuse: The misuse of alcohol, drugs, or other substances can have severe negative effects on brain health. Substance abuse can lead to structural and functional changes in the brain, impair cognitive function, and increase the risk of mental health disorders.
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Dr. Amen
More About Living a Life of True Wealth
1 thought on “Dr. Amen Healthy Brain Techniques and 5 Things that Destroy It”